Unsupported document-format "application/pdf".

Helge Blischke h.blischke at acm.org
Thu Apr 12 01:21:31 PDT 2012

vipul mahajan wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have installed CUPS 1.5.0. on my embedded system. It can print .txt
> files but unable to print .pdf and .jpeg files. How can I achieve this?
>
> When I print .pdf file using command lp xyz.pdf it stays Unsupported
> document-format "application/pdf". When I print .jpeg image in the GUI it
> says "The print file could not be opened".
>
> I have configured CUPS using --enable-pdftops --enable-image options. Do I
> need to make any other changes as well?
>
> Kindly let me know.

If I understand the configure script correctly, you need to specify the
utility to be used for the pdftops filter (gs, pdftops, none), that is:
--enable-pdftops=pdftops for instance (where the "pdftops" following the
equal sign menas the pdftops utility based on Xpdf or poppler (as installed
by your Linus distribution). Without any argument this option seems to set
the pdftops filter to use "none" as utility.

Helge