[cups.general] How to print through Windows 7 client via ipp

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Fri Apr 13 02:19:01 PDT 2012

Hello,

On Apr 12 03:40 Volker Lenhardt wrote (excerpt):
> What about your firewall? In my system there is a desktop (openSUSE)
> connected via Ethernet to the router and other computers (Windows 7
> and openSUSE) via WLAN. My printers are attached to the desktop.
> In this environment I need to allow the IP protocols cups and ipp
> (TCP and UDP ports 631) in the external zone of the firewall
> on the desktop.
>
> Hope...

Hopefully not!

In particular hopefully not via WLAN!

See
http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:CUPS_and_SANE_Firewall_settings

In general:
Could you explain why you need to open any port in your firewall
for the external zone (i.e. for an external network)?

In particular:
Why do you need to allow in in your firewall to let your cupsd
be accessible from an external network (perhaps even via WLAN)?

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner