Georger Araujo georger_br at yahoo.com.br
Fri Apr 13 07:53:58 PDT 2012

> I finally got my samba and cups working to make my Brother DCP-7040 printer on Slackware box visible to XP. But, I cannot get the driver loaded on XP. I downloaded the 77MB driver file from Brother self extracted it. When I attempt to connect to the printer it says no driver and look for a .inf file. Well, the software downloaded form Brother has no .inf files.
>
> What to do?
>
> tj

Did you upload the driver to Samba using cupsaddsmb? If you didn't, then Samba has no driver to offer to your Windows client, in which case Windows prompts you to supply it yourself, which is possibly not what you had in mind.

To find out how to upload the driver to Samba using cupsaddsmb, see [1] and [2].

It goes without saying that your printer has to be configured and working on CUPS before you can use it with Samba. If it is already configured and working and you have already printed a test page, great, just publish it to Samba. If it's not, you should download its Linux driver from Brother's website [3] (they only offer it in .rpm and .deb formats, but you can always install Debian or Ubuntu on a VM, install the printer on the VM, and then copy the PPD and the CUPS filter back to your Slackware server) and get it working on CUPS first.

[1] http://blog.encomiabile.it/2010/02/
[2] http://blog.realcomputerguy.com/2011/10/cups-samba-64bit-driver-installation.html
[3] http://welcome.solutions.brother.com/bsc/public_s/id/linux/en/download_prn.html#DCP-7040