Problem printing a pptx or converted pdf file through cups printing server

Helge Blischke h.blischke at acm.org
Wed Apr 18 07:57:38 PDT 2012

Dan wrote:

> hi all,
>
> Please help me figure this out. I instaled cups printing server on a
> fedora distribution. i ocnfigured a bunch of printers for my little
> office. Everything worked ok until i received a pptx file that had 20
> slides with full slide picture in it. it seems that it will not print the
> file...the server doesn't even receive the request from the windows 7
> machine or the iMAC. i run versione 1.3.11 . i tried to convert the pptx
> into a pdf with lower resolution in pictures but still it is not working.
>
> if i trie to rpin from windows just 2 slides the printer properties showes
> 78 MB of data....the printer's only have 32 MB max.
>
> if anyone has/had this problem please tell me a solution.
> it drives me crazy because i can't print.
>
> dan

Your pptx file is probably an "open xml" based powerpoint document. I is, in
reality, a ZIP archive containing a bunch of XML files which represent the
document.
There are some commercial utilities around to convert pptx files to PDF or
PS, but they all seem to run only on Windows.
In a CUPS environment, you could try to use LibreOffice as a filter (see the
links on the CUPS web site), but to my experience this requires some
expertise and a lot of trial and error to get it work (on Linux at least,
perhaps you need to install a fake X server etc.).

Helge