auto-discover of network printers relies on ip6?

willie tumbleweed at fast-mail.org
Sun Apr 22 05:58:51 PDT 2012

> >     < snipped big log file >
> >

> > Helge wrote:
> >>
> >> The 1.5.2 SNMP backend, if compiled with IPV6 support, exits with return
> >> code 1 if IPV6 is disabled as you did. Thus, under these circumstances,
> >> no printers are autodiscovered by SNMP.
> >>

> > Many thanks for this Helge.
> >
> > I saw the "snmp stopped with status 1" message but didn't associate it
> > with missing ipv6 kernel support - especially after Michael's earlier
> > comment about life continuing within cupsd without ipv6.
> >
> > I'm not trying to do anything exotic here and I'll be very surprised if no
> > one else out there is using cups without an ip6 stack, but your reply
> > above "...under these circumstances..." suggests the title of this thread
> > is in fact correct. If so, what are my options - try to compile my own
> > cups software without ipv6 support? Will that allow a machine to discover
> > network printers with just ipv4?
> >
> > Thanks again.
>
> Yes, I'd download the sources (of just the cups version you are using) and
> building without IPV6 support, but do not install is as usual, only replace
> the current snmp backend with the compiled one.
> Do not hesitate to aks again whenever you need help.
>
> Helge

Cheers Helge.

I've fallen at the first fence.

I've looked through the documents and compile notes in the source package and can find no configure prefix or any other obvious way of disabling ip6 - anywhere, let alone just the snmp backend. In fact the only occurrences of "ipv6" or "ip6" in the entire tarball are in a few of the source files, eg. "backend/snmp.c", but I was hoping for something that requires less than my pitiful programming skills, and doubt anyone should be altering the source code in any case...

Have I missed something?