Printer keeps "printing document" long after printing is done

sney drubo at drubo.net
Wed Apr 25 16:54:30 PDT 2012

I have a debian stable/squeeze server with cups 1.4.4 and a hp laserjet 3015 foomatic/postscript connected by usb. After anything is printed via cups, the printer continues to display "printing document" with a blinking status led for about 5 minutes.

Cups reports printer status as Idle- "Printer is now online." The driver is POSTSCRI.PPD and I didn't have to do anything special to make cups recognize the printer.

If the printer is connected via usb to one of our windows workstations, it resets to Ready immediately after the last page comes out. But with cups - and this applies to things printed over the network, locally, or even a test page from the cups maintenance menu - the light blinks for approximately 5 minutes more.

The printer does accept more jobs from cups, but it's an issue because it's also our office copier, and it refuses to copy anything until it's finished "printing document." We can "cancel" the print but I'd prefer to solve this permanently.