application/tpog-ps type? (PS 3.0 vs 3.1?)

Ted Tanaka ted.tanaka at gmail.com
Thu Apr 26 08:07:27 PDT 2012

Hey everyone -

I'm running into the case where CUPS finds a file type of application/tpog-ps and doesn't handle it well.

Any idea how to deal with this?  It looks like a postscript file (well, 3.0), but doesn't get typed as application/postscript.  It seems to be driver dependent.  For example, the Adobe universal PostScript drivers on Windows generate print jobs of type application/tpog-ps.

Here's the output in error_log:

[Job 257] Queued on "TestPrinter" by "ttanaka".
[Job 257] Auto-typing file...
[Job 257] Request file type is application/tpog-ps.
[Job 257] File of type application/tpog-ps queued by "ttanaka".

Data files in /var/spool/cups of type application/postscript start with the following:
  %!PS-Adobe-3.1

Whereas files of type application/tpog-ps start with the following:
  #TPOGPS PageRegion=Letter InputSlot=Default Duplex=None Option1=False
  %!PS-Adobe-3.0

So my questions:
- How should I configure CUPS to handle this?
- How can I tell if a driver is PS 3.0 or 3.1, or this configurable?

Thanks!

Ted