application/tpog-ps type? (PS 3.0 vs 3.1?)

Helge Blischke h.blischke at acm.org
Thu Apr 26 14:56:52 PDT 2012

Ted Tanaka wrote:

> Hey everyone -
>
> I'm running into the case where CUPS finds a file type of
> application/tpog-ps and doesn't handle it well.
>
> Any idea how to deal with this?  It looks like a postscript file (well,
> 3.0), but doesn't get typed as application/postscript.  It seems to be
> driver dependent.  For example, the Adobe universal PostScript drivers on
> Windows generate print jobs of type application/tpog-ps.
>
> Here's the output in error_log:
>
> [Job 257] Queued on "TestPrinter" by "ttanaka".
> [Job 257] Auto-typing file...
> [Job 257] Request file type is application/tpog-ps.
> [Job 257] File of type application/tpog-ps queued by "ttanaka".
>
> Data files in /var/spool/cups of type application/postscript start with
> the following:
>   %!PS-Adobe-3.1
>
> Whereas files of type application/tpog-ps start with the following:
>   #TPOGPS PageRegion=Letter InputSlot=Default Duplex=None Option1=False
>   %!PS-Adobe-3.0
>
> So my questions:
> - How should I configure CUPS to handle this?
> - How can I tell if a driver is PS 3.0 or 3.1, or this configurable?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Ted

First, a little bit googling revealed that these files are generated by the
ThinPrint Output Gateway,
a part of the ThinPrint software (Windows).

As your CUPS recognizes these files as application/tpog-ps, there are
respective mime types and convs file(s) which define the document type and
the chain of filters to process these files. Therefore, your CUPS system
must contain a filter to convert this document type to some other type
(presumably application/postscript or application/vnd.cups-postscript).

So what is the real problem you have?

If these files do not print, please post (an URL to) your xxx.types and
xxx.convs file(s) (in /etc/cups and possibly in /usr/share/cups/mime) and a
list of the installed filters (usually in /usr/lib/cups/fllter).

Helge