[cups.general] Looking for a new CUPs network printer under GNU/Linux, depressed by filters

Jean-Michel Pouré - GOOZE jmpoure at gooze.eu
Mon Apr 30 05:58:34 PDT 2012

Dear all,

During years I have been using a Kyocera FS3800 which worked out the box
with Cups under GNU/Linux to provide network printing. Then it died of
age and I bought a Brother HL 5370 DW and two Samsung ML 1665/1670.

All these printers use filters and closed source software in addition to
CUPS. The problem is that after migrating to Cups 1.5.2, these printers
have problems:
* The Brother simply refuses to work and prints white pages.
* The Samsung filter refuses to work. Only the first page is printed.
Page scaling and multiple pages printing on one page are not supported.

So at this stage I would like to use a fully supported printer by CUPS
and Openprinting OUT-OF-THE-BOX without filter. My only need is to be
able to print on ethernet networks. It could be IPP or any working
protocol. But WITHOUT filter, as filter are unstable.

What would you recommend? I am quite stuck at the moment without printer
and need you help ....

Kind regards,
Jean-Michel