[cups.general] Sharing a printer via IPP?

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Wed Aug 1 06:03:30 PDT 2012

Hello,

On Aug 1 05:44 tirant wrote (excerpt):
> I have a USB printer connected to a standard Linux server.
> I would like to share that printer to a network just with
> the IPP protocol. Do I need to install drivers for the
> printer in my Linux server, or would it be enough to install
> the drivers on the clients (Windows)? Is there any
> requirements for the printer?

If you like to use the printer device from applications that run
on the Linux server, you need to have a print queue with full
print job processing on the Linux server (that runs printer
driver software if it is not a PostScript printer)
so that it generates printer-specific data for the device.

If you like to use the printer device only from applications that
run on Windows clients, it is sufficient to have only a so called
"raw" queue on the the Linux server and install the printer driver
on the Windows clients so that the Windows clients make the
printer-specific data and the "raw" queue on the the Linux server
only forwards it to the printer device.

There exist printer devices that require bidirectional communication
between printer driver and printer device while printing. Such weak
printers cannot work when the printer driver runs on one host
(e.g. on the Windows client) and the other host to which the
printer device is connected (e.g. the Linux server) only forwards
data to the printer device.

Have a look at
http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Printing_from_Windows_to_Linux

Kind Regards