Requirement for new print solution

wunlung wongwunlung at gmail.com
Wed Aug 8 23:16:34 PDT 2012

Hi all,

I am currently studying and looking for a new printing solution for our company.
However, I am a novice in this area. Although I have read some documentation from this website and google a lot, I am still confusing about it.

I try to list out the “must-have” requirement that is needed for our printing solution:

1.      Minimize the network traffic by compressing the PCL or by sending the pdf directly
2.      Print PDF to printer
3.      Collect print job status
4.      Allow application to select print tray

I know CUPS can support PDF and collect print job status, but not sure if it can allow application to select print tray.

Furthermore, I know CUPS support IPP but our company has many regional printers which may not support IPP.

I aware of some potential obstacles for the printing project
1.      Not all the regional printers are network printers (I think 99% should be network printers, but I can’t guarantee for the one man band office)
2.      Not all our printers support IPP (Mainly the low grade models of Xerox and HP)
3.      By default the IPP feature is not enabled, need a smart way to re-enable it before global rollout
4.      We still have some Dot Matrix printers
5.      Need to map the existing print queues back to the ip address for IPP purpose
6.      Any special handling measures for agency office?

Our printing solution can be a mixture of :
- Windows Print server.  They support IPP since win2k.
- IPP enabled printer

Can anyone give me some suggestions and provides me with some guidelines?

Thanks.

Best Regards,
Wunlung