X-Forwarded-For

Jack jax at nwmt.us
Mon Aug 13 17:01:28 PDT 2012

Say, I'm in a situation where we absolutely need to have the printservers to stay up.  As such, I've put up 2 CUPS servers behind another one running haproxy.  All has been perfect - so far so good.  Now, I'm trying to debug an issue, but my originating host is always the IP of my haproxy machine

So, I never know who actually sent the job.

Now, in the web server world, I can turn on the option to forwardfor and then extract the X-Forwarded-For value out of the http header, and do something with it - mostly just put that into my log file - the actual IP of the client machine.

What I'm interested in knowing - has someone already thought of this and it's pretty easy to accomodate in CUPS?  If so, how?

thanks,
Jack