Require loged in to Print

bse bse at chalmers.se
Tue Aug 14 00:49:16 PDT 2012

> I am trying to find a way to configure CUPS to require the uses to enter their User names and Passwords each time they send a document to print. I need this to ensure that only users from my department can print and to track how much they print. CUPS will need to check these user names and passwords using PAM. If any one could tell me what options to use where it would be greatly helpful
>
> regard
>
> Cody T. Belcher

Take a look into an accounting system like PyKota (www.pykota.com)

That way you can have every job accounted for, put limits on how much each user can print and a lot more.

If you set Cups (and Samba if used) to use Kerberos, you will get a very good authentication of the users.

To stop users from other departments from misusing your printers, either just give them 0 as quota to stop them, or charge them whatever you want for the use of your printers. Turn a problem into a cash flow.

When the system is configured, it will run without any manual work. Users will be added according to your rules, printers will be added.

I run a PyKota/Cups/Samba based printer system at Chalmers, and it just works.

//Bse