Digiboard pass-thru device "permission denied"

Michael Born mborn at donatos.com
Wed Aug 15 14:17:36 PDT 2012

I'm trying to get some legacy equipment working under CentOS 6.2. I'm connecting Star DP8340 serial printers directly connected through a Digiboard Neo card, and Star SP312 printers in a pass-thru mode connected to Adds dumb terminals. The directly connected printers work great using the board's tty devices (i.e. /dev/ttyn1c), but when I try to print via cups (1.4.2) to the pass-thru device (i.e. /dev/prn1a), I get the error "Unable to open device file "/dev/prn1a": Permission denied", and the queue becomes disabled.

The "pr" type devices have the same permissions as the "tty" type devices (660, root owner and group). I can cat output to the device directly with no issues.

Thanks in advance for any assistance,
Michael Born