GUI for CUPS?

Helge Blischke h.blischke at acm.org
Fri Aug 24 11:40:03 PDT 2012

George Del Monte wrote:

> I'm sorry, but I've been spoiled by GUIs in the Windows and Apple worlds.
> I've been frustrated because I don't see anything in CUPS that helps me
> add a wireless printer to my computer running Ubuntu 12.04. I'm pretty
> sure I've got the printer's correct IP address from my router, but there's
> NOWHERE in CUPS where I can type the IP address so I can move on and start
> printing. If there's a drop-dead, straight-forward method to success, I'd
> appreciate learning what it is. It is the pits to copy a file to a flash
> drive, move to my Windows computer, and send the file to the Wireless
> printer, which is RIGHT NEXT to my Ubuntu computer. GRRR.

Do it either by using the lpadmin command (see man lpadmin for the details)
or use your favourite browser, type
http://localhost:631
(replace localhost by your ubuntu box' hostname if your browser is not
running on that machine), click "Administration", then "add printer" and
follow the menus there. Note that you need to select the protocol to use
before you can type the device_uri (containing the hostname or the IP
address for the networked printer).

Helge