[cups.general] Network printing with CUPS 1.6.x

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmail.com
Wed Aug 29 09:50:58 PDT 2012

On 08/29/2012 06:05 PM, Michael Sweet wrote:
> Till,
>
> On Aug 29, 2012, at 11:45 AM, Till Kamppeter <till.kamppeter at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Now my questions:
>>
>> 1. Is there a way for applications to list also the remote printers in
>> their printing dialogs and to print on them without creating local
>> static queues and without modifying the code of the applications?
>
> Not at this time.  We have looked at a variety of ways to maintain a dynamic list of printers in the background on behalf of applications, but all of them require at least one function call to start the background thread (we don't want to do it automatically just because you have linked against libcups in some way...) or changes to cupsd that make it run all the time which isn't good for resource/power usage.

This means that static queues pointing to the remote printers need to
get created for now.

The user can easily set up the appropriate printers with
system-config-printer as they get discovered by the dnssd backend.
system-config-printer lists the server under the discovered printers and
allows selecting the queue. It also recognizes that the queues are
remote CUPS queues and therefore creates automatically raw queues to
point to these queues.

Improvements could be to create such queues somehow automatically so
that users without permission to create queues have easy access.

>> 2. If the cupsEnumDests() function reports
>>
>> Added 'Berlin - Fast Double-Sided Color multi-function  @ till-lenovo':
>>      printer-info="Berlin - Fast Double-Sided Color multi-function  @
>> till-lenovo"
>>      printer-location=""
>>      printer-make-and-model="Hewlett-Packard HP Color LaserJet CM3530 MFP"
>>      printer-type="8425694"
>>
>> printer-uri-supported="ipp://Berlin%20-%20Fast%20Double-Sided%20Color%20multi-function%20%20%40%20till-lenovo._ipp._tcp.local/cups"
>>
>> how do I print on this printer without creating a local static queue
>> pointing to the given URI?
>
> Use the cupsDestCreateJob, cupsDestStartDocument, etc. functions instead of the old cupsCreateJob, cupsStartDocument, etc. functions.

Can you add documentation for these functions? I did not find any
"cupsDest... ()" function in the current documentation.

    Till