Automatic print routing aborting job

David McNicoll mcnicoll at ringball.com
Fri Aug 17 06:20:28 PDT 2012

> David McNicoll wrote:

> [...]
> >
> > All starts well with the first few jobs printing [Job 3280] then ends with
> > the last job failing [Job 3283].  Even after the last job fails, the
> > automatic print routine continues to run and print more packing slips with
> > an occasional failure.  According to our ERP vendor the automatic program
> > is designed to run the same manual printing steps that would be performed
> > by an operator. The printouts are simple text, no graphics.
>
> Well, from your log I think the issue is due to some flaws on the path from
> the ERP application to CUPS.
> Could you please give more information on how this is configured?
> Is your ERP app possibly running on a Windows box and thus SAMBA in between?
>
> Helge

Our ERP software runs a GUI telnet client from our Windows stations to the Linux box, so I'm guessing SAMBA gets involved.  Here is our smb.conf file:

# Global parameters
[global]
        workgroup = WORKGROUP
        server string = ERP Server
        security = SHARE
        password server = None
        username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
        log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
        max log size = 50
        printcap name = /etc/printcap
        dns proxy = No
        create mask = 0666
        directory mask = 0777
        guest ok = Yes
        cups options = raw
        load printers = yes
        printing = cups

[homes]
        comment = Home Directories
        read only = No
        browseable = No

[printers]
        comment = All Printers
        path = /var/spool/samba
        printable = Yes
        browseable = No

This .conf file was copied over from our RHEL 3 box.

Dave