[cups.general] CUPS help documentation, dropping cups "browsing"

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Tue Dec 4 01:55:01 PST 2012

Hello,

On Nov 27 10:13 Michael Sweet wrote (excerpt):
> I would agree, and fully support adding an optional helper daemon
> to the cups-filters project that acts as a bridge between old and
> new CUPS systems. Some of the existing cups-polld code from CUPS 1.5
> can be used to support CUPS 1.5.x clients to CUPS 1.6.x servers,
> and the old cupsd code for managing remote queues can easily be
> incorporated (minus implicit class support) to support CUPS 1.6.x
> clients automatically discovering/adding queues on CUPS 1.5.x
> and earlier servers.

This is really good news!

I had asked for such a positive response and confirmation from
CUPS upstream regarding the so called "universal cups-browsed" in the
mail thread "An idea how to provide CUPS Browsing for CUPS 1.6", see

https://www.cups.org/newsgroups.php?gcups.general+T+Q%22An+idea+how+to+provide+CUPS+Browsing+for+CUPS+1.6%22

Many Thanks and Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner