[cups.general] Output only with "-o raw" ?

flashrob bobspeed at comcast.net
Sun Dec 9 18:22:47 PST 2012

Niels S. Eliasen <nse at ...> writes:

> Anyone who could some light on this will be greatly appreciated ....
>
> I have a bunch of printers configured(approx. 130), and suddenly we are
> only able to print using "lp -o raw -d xx filename" Which fortunately is
> being done for quite a number of jobs... but it is annoying that regular
> print-jobs cannot be done, although they do appear in the Web-interface
> as having being printed, but there is no entry in the "page_log". Unless
> I specify "lp -o raw -d xx filename".. then they do appear both places
> Even the "Test print" appear as having being printed, but does not show
> in the "page_log" file either...
> On the Linux (RedHat) side nothing has changed(this is CUPS 1.3.7), so I
> am somewhat baffled by this...
> Any ideas?
>
> regards

....This may help some...so I'm posting it here:

1.  I'm a newbie (don't even know what cups means...but..I had some printer
problems...the following:

2.  Linux Mint 14 Nadia...(did several practice installs off a bootable usb)
....my win7 system crashed...so I figured I give Linux a try...

3. then I thought about printing... had forgotten all about that... so I plugged
my usb with Canon Pixma 3100 in...and it pops up...and does the "driver
install"...I was real impressed...then it printed a test-page beautifully...

so far so good...then I try to print from "plume notepad" a short text
file...and SHOWS THE PRINTER AND WORKING AND COMPLETED...but IT DIDN'T PRINT
ANYTHING...so I reload driver and "same thing"

MAINLY...IT WILL PRINT A TEST PAGE ...BUT NOT ANYTHING ELSE...

here's where it gets good...SO MY INTUITION TELLS ME TO "PRINT TO FILE AS A PDF"
AND JUST MAYBE YOU CAN PRINT THAT...

WELL... SURPRISE...I PRINTED TO A PDF FIRST TO... my home folder...and "IT
PRINTED THE PDF"...so then, I try the "plume text" directly AND ...NOW...it
prints that ...tested it by deleting the pdf copy...

and IT STILL PRINTS...SO NOW MY PRINTER IS WORKING...

(I still got win7 on a notebook...so I can still print with that...but I wanted
to get "streaming speed" on my ASUS gaming laptop...don't play games but watch
great shows on "dramafever"...(Korean stuff...fantastic...)

Anyway...maybe that "print to pdf" changed the printer configuration
somehow...but whatever, now I can print shop lists without switching the printer
to my notebook all the time (which sometimes I keep in car for hotspots when I'm
roaming...

anyway try that...I'm a newbie in linux...have to relearn "all this stuff"
....though I'm pretty good in win stuff...

but I'm "likin' this Mint 14 ...a WHOLE LOT...(since I first looked at linux
years ago...and figured it was "too much trouble"...

I getting real "high speed" in the net...wireless (running 3 adapters
simultaneously) ...picked up my house router, etc. ALL AUTOMATIALLY...and now
that the printers working...THIS IS ALL GREAT...

just have to figure "disk image iso backup" and some partition mgmt...still
thinking about that...maybe clonezilla, etc.

win7 has all that stuff, pretty much...but my sys/recover disk is a hundred
miles away...so I figured I could play with this linux and get something going
without having to drive down the shore...

so I'll be an "linux" expert ...some day... but for now...pretty cool this new
level of linux...

regards,

flashrob