[cups.general] Setting up DCp-7040 as newtwork printer

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Sun Dec 16 19:16:23 PST 2012

On Sunday 16 December 2012 22:12:31 tj did opine:

> > tj wrote:
> > > I am trying to get a Brother DCP-7040 printer working as a networked
> > > printer. I had it working on this system and moved it to another
> > > Linux system to use a as networked print. It works on the "server".
> > > SO I set it for shared on te server and now I cannot get the
> > > "client" to find it. It doses not find it as a networked printer so
> > > I do a manual new printer. I tell it use /usr/share/ppd/DCP7040.ppd
> > > as hat file and for network I use ipp
> > > ipp://192.168.1.206/printer/DCP7040 which is the printers name.
> > >
> > > However, when I attempt to send a test page I get the error
> > > "Unable to get printer status (Bad Request)"
> > >
> > > Whats happening?
> > >
> > > tj
> >
> > You should specify the printer as
> > ipp://server_s_ip_or_name:631/printers/DCP7040
> >
> > Helge
>
> thanks, that fixed it.
> I thought that printers that were shared were "seen" by the other
> systems on the network running CUPS.
>
> tj

That takes two conditions: 1, the servers config has it marked as "shared",
and 2, the client.conf must enable BROWSING.

Some distro leave them both off, for security I guess.  Ubuntu turns it
back off every time they update cups, or at least I've had to turn it back
on several times here.