Large job print blank label near job-end

ed smith ed.smith at mcquay.com
Tue Dec 18 05:56:02 PST 2012

Greetings,

Intermittent problem - When large label job runs on Intermec PM4i, approx last 15% of job prints blank labels. If job is cancelled and resubmitted at application level, 100% of labels print OK. Printer is configured raw, with formatting provided in app code using Intermec Print Language statements. Problem does not occur with small labels runs, only when hundreds of labels, making testing expensive. Print queue servers are in different locations several router hops away, Solaris 10 servers, at varying patch levels. Have also tried defining the CUPS printer to defer to a windows file server print queue, which then does involve a generic driver, but I suspect this has nothing to do with drivers, since the problem is intermittent, occuring and not occuring on same data. This is enterprise environment with 200+ printers at numerous locations, other locations not having this issue. Have tried replacing the printer, but not recently. CUPS is old version, (1.2.6-r6061) but I don't see that having much to do with this.

Any comment appreciated.
Thanks.

Regards,
Ed Smith