OSX Clients not attempting CUPS-Get-PPD operation

Nick Cammorato nick_cammorato at terc.edu
Fri Dec 28 11:22:49 PST 2012

With the death of the Xserve and no legal way to virtualize OSX, I'm attempting to transition our print server from Cups 1.5.3 on OSX10.7 server to Cups 1.6.1 on CentOS6.3(avahi and ghostscript also at the latest, cups-filters at 1.0.25) and have run into a very strange issue.

When adding a queue via bonjour on the OSX clients, the following differing behaviors are shown:
1.  The print queue shows up as "bonjour shared" on the OSX server, while it shows up as "bonjour" on the Linux server.
2.  When adding the queue the OSX client does a CUPS-Get-PPD operation ONLY when adding the queue from the OSX server, which downloads the driver and configures any options that were configured on the server(IE: Extra trays).  It does not attempt this when adding the queue that's on the Linux server, as verified via access logs and sniffing the traffic.  The access and error logs look identical on both servers up until that point.

Attempting the operation manually by going directly to https://print-server:631/printers/Queue.ppd works correctly on both the old and new server.  I can't however just pull all those down on every laptop.

Printing works just fine to either, all queues show up, the sole issue is that the PPD file gets pulled down from the OSX server and doesn't get pulled down from the Linux server.  I've tried multiple distros at this point as well and simply can't get it to work and documentation seems to suggest that what the current print server is doing isn't even possible.

Anyone have any ideas?

--Nick