[cups.bugs] [LOW] STR #4249: BrowseRelay documentation misleading

jsmeix.suse jsmeix at suse.de
Wed Dec 12 06:23:03 PST 2012

[STR New]

The BrowseRelay documentation is misleading.

http://www.cups.org/documentation.php/doc-1.5/ref-cupsd-conf.html
reads:
BrowseRelay
Description
The BrowseRelay directive specifies source and destination addresses
for relaying browsing information from one host or network to another.
Multiple BrowseRelay directives can be specified as needed.

The "destination addresses" is misleading because it looks as if
one could specify

BrowseRelay source destination1 destination2 destination3 ...

(i.e. multiple "destination addresses" for a single source).

But this does not work and /var/log/cups/error_log shows
in this case only one single entry

I ... Relaying from source to destination1

Also for multiple destinations one has to use multiple
BrowseRelay directives like

BrowseRelay source destination1
BrowseRelay source destination2
BrowseRelay source destination3

and then /var/log/cups/error_log shows

I ... Relaying from source to destination1
I ... Relaying from source to destination2
I ... Relaying from source to destination3

Accordingly the BrowseRelay documentation should read:
BrowseRelay
Description
The BrowseRelay directive specifies source and destination address
for relaying browsing information from one host or network to another.
Multiple BrowseRelay directives can be specified as needed.
I.e. "destination addresses" -> "destination address"

The issue exists at least since CUPS 1.3.9. I noticed it today
because an admin misunderstood it as described above and
I like to have it at least reported here as a reference.

Link: https://www.cups.org/str.php?L4249
Version: 1.5.4