Compile errors

Helge Blischke h.blischke at acm.org
Thu Feb 2 09:11:06 PST 2012

Jerry Birkes wrote:

> [...]
>> > Linking libcups.so.2...
>> > Making all in test...
>> > Compiling ippserver.c...
>> > In file included from ../cups/http-private.h:68,
>> >                  from ../cups/cups-private.h:29,
>> >                  from ippserver.c:72:
>> > /usr/include/kerberosv5/krb5.h:11: warning: ignoring #pragma ident
>> > Linking ippserver...
>> > Undefined                       first referenced
>> >  symbol                             in file
>> > libiconv_close                      ../cups/libcups.a(transcode.o)
>> > libiconv_open                       ../cups/libcups.a(transcode.o)
>> > libiconv                            ../cups/libcups.a(transcode.o)
>> > ld: fatal: symbol referencing errors. No output written to ippserver
>> > collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
>> > *** Error code 1
>> > The following command caused the error:
>> > gcc -L../cgi-bin -L../cups -L../filter -L../ppdc  -L../scheduler
>> > -fPIE -pie -Wall -Wno-format-y2k -Wunused -fPIC -Os -g -o ippserver
>> > ippserver.o ../cups/libcups.a \
>> >         -lgss -L/usr/lib -R/usr/lib -lkrb5   -lpthread -lresolv -lnsl
>> >         -lsocket -lm -lz
>> > make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `ippserver'
>> > Current working directory /Desktop/cups-1.5.0/test
>> > *** Error code 1
>> > The following command caused the error:
>> > for dir in cups test filter backend berkeley cgi-bin driver monitor
>> > notifier ppdc scheduler systemv conf data desktop locale man doc
>> > examples
>> > templates  fonts; do\
>> >         echo Making all in $dir... ;\
>> >         (cd $dir ; make  all ) || exit 1;\
>> > done
>> > make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `all'
>> Sounds like an broken or incomplete installation ov GNU libiconv. Try to
>> edit the file config.h in your build top directory and change the
>> #define HAVE_ICONV_H
>> #undef HAVE_ICONV_H
>> or comment it out. Then do
>> make clean
>> make
>>
>> and see what happens. It *should* then go beyond this error(s).
>>
>> Helge
>>
>> P.S.: My personal advice: I'd install GNU libiconv (from the sources or,
>> if available, from sunfreeware.com) as more and more open source packages
>> rely on it with respect to localization.
>>

> Thanks a lot for that I believe it got me past the libiconv issue. It
> seemed to compile fine except there are some warnings. which seem
> syntactical but from my experience warning are not failures. Is this
> correct?? The errors are below.
>
> # make
> Compiling adminutil.c...
> Compiling array.c...
> Compiling attr.c...
> Compiling auth.c...
> Compiling backchannel.c...
> Compiling backend.c...
> Compiling conflicts.c...
> conflicts.c: In function `cupsResolveConflicts':
> conflicts.c:196: warning: 'active' might be used uninitialized in this
This means the said variable is not initialized by an explicite value
assignement before first use, but in most (all?) systems memory allocated
for dynamic variables is zeroed out at allocation time and thus
initialization takes place implicitely.
> .
> .
> .
>
> Compiling globals.c...
> globals.c:43: warning: missing braces around initializer
> globals.c:43: warning: (near initialization for
> `cups_globals_key_once.__pthread_once_pad') Compiling http.c...
This is, strictly speaking, a syntax viaolation, but the compiler knows how
to treat the statement as if it were correct.
> .
> .
> .
> .
> Compiling image.c...
> Compiling error.c...
> error.c:173: warning: missing braces around initializer
> error.c:173: warning: (near initialization for
> `raster_key_once.__pthread_once_pad') Compiling interpret.c...
> .
> .
> .
> .
> Compiling usb.c...
> usb-unix.c:561: warning: 'side_cb' defined but not used
The variable is unused in the compiled context. No harm, wasted space at
worst.
> Linking usb...
> Making all in berkeley...
>
> Thank you,
> Jerry Birkes
> Software Team
> Air Route Radar Systems Engineering, AJW-142
>
> Federal Aviation Administration
> Mike Monroney Aeronautical Center AJW-142
> 6500 S. MacArthur Blvd. Bldg. 227
> Oklahoma City, OK  73169
> Ph:(405)954-4607
> e-mail: jerry.birkes at faa.gov

Jerry, don't worry about the warnings, see the embedded comments.

Helge