Problems printing to remote (LPR) printer

Tom Watson sdc695 at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 3 22:00:35 PST 2012

I have a remote printer attached to my nice router.  It has a nice print queue, and I have been able to print to it successfully using an older version of CPUP (v1.1.x it says on the test page).  The printer is a Cannon ip1600, and the URI that I use is "lpr://router/lpUSB0".  I have done a bit of investigation, and using TCPDUMP I was able to see that the "good" instance (the actual system is a Fedora 8 Linux box) emits about 1.9 Mbytes of data to the printer.  The "not working" instance (CUPS 1.5 from Fedora 16) emits around 176kbytes, and the printer swallows the data in about 1 second or so, with no output to the printer.

Something is not right in my neighborhood, as this DOES work with an earlier instance of CUPS.  The only thing that I think that is happening is that somehow the driver doesn't go through the Postscript (Ghostscript) interpreter to get the raster data for the printer.

Thanks for the assistance.