Problems printing to remote (LPR) printer

Tom Watson sdc695 at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 6 03:06:34 PST 2012

> Thanks for the log file. I saw that your cups 1.5.0 installation uses
> gutenprint 5.2.7 for this printer. The ip1600 is supported for the first
> time in this version but still marked as "EXPERIMENTAL" which means
> essentially untested.
>
> Yout working configuration uses a canon proprietary filter named
> pstocanonij.
>
> Before digging deeper into the gutenprint issue, I'd suggest to re-install
> the pstocanonij filter. I found installable packages for this printer
> (ip1600) at
> http://software.canon-europe.com .
>
> As I do not know which system you are on, I cannot give more detailed
> information.
>
> Helge

I did a lookup both on canon-europe and usa.canon and there was no Linux driver listed (maybe I missed it?).  On the cups 1.3.9 system, I use the iP2200 driver on that system, and it uses gutenprint 5.0.2.  The F16 system uses cups 1.5.0 and Gutenprint 5.2.7

I located a version of 'pstocanonij' on the CUPS 1.3.9 system, but I am a bit puzzled where the printer database (given a printer, what filters to work, and which '.ppd' file to use).  It IS out there somewhere, and I really do want to use 'pstocanonij' but my question is how do I make it link up.  Maybe you can give me a clue.

Of course, a URL for canon's latest 'pstocanonij' might help as well, providing it works on Linux.

I suspect that once I understand just how it connects together, I'll make it work out (one way or another!).

Again, thanks for the help.