Problems printing to remote (LPR) printer

Tom Watson sdc695 at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 7 23:21:31 PST 2012

> >> Thanks for the log file. I saw that your cups 1.5.0 installation uses
> >> gutenprint 5.2.7 for this printer. The ip1600 is supported for the first
> >> time in this version but still marked as "EXPERIMENTAL" which means
> >> essentially untested.
> >>
> >> Yout working configuration uses a canon proprietary filter named
> >> pstocanonij.
> >>
> >> Before digging deeper into the gutenprint issue, I'd suggest to
> >> re-install the pstocanonij filter. I found installable packages for this
> >> printer (ip1600) at
> >> http://software.canon-europe.com .
> >>
> >> As I do not know which system you are on, I cannot give more detailed
> >> information.
> >>
> >> Helge
> >>
> > I did a lookup both on canon-europe and usa.canon and there was no Linux
> > driver listed (maybe I missed it?).  On the cups 1.3.9 system, I use the
> > iP2200 driver on that system, and it uses gutenprint 5.0.2.  The F16
> > system uses cups 1.5.0 and Gutenprint 5.2.7
> >
> > I located a version of 'pstocanonij' on the CUPS 1.3.9 system, but I am a
> > bit puzzled where the printer database (given a printer, what filters to
> > work, and which '.ppd' file to use).  It IS out there somewhere, and I
> > really do want to use 'pstocanonij' but my question is how do I make it
> > link up.  Maybe you can give me a clue.
> >
> > Of course, a URL for canon's latest 'pstocanonij' might help as well,
> > providing it works on Linux.
> >
> > I suspect that once I understand just how it connects together, I'll make
> > it work out (one way or another!).
> >
> > Again, thanks for the help.
>
> If both of your systems are Linux systems provided by the same distributor,
> you may have a chance that the pstocanonij filter from the "old" system runs
> an the "new" s<ystem as well. You need to transfer the filter executable,
> the PPD from the old system, and, on the new system, execute
> ldd pstocanonij
> to see if any libraries are missing. At best you can solve missing libraries
> by setting up symbolic links.
> Just try.
>
> Helge
>
> PS: when googling for pstocanonij I found some hints pointing to
> canon-asia.com for source code, but wothout details.

I've got the pstocanonij moved over, and it seems that all the libraries are there.  That's the good news.  My big question, is how do I get CUPS to use the program with my printer.  Somewhere there is a descriptor that tells which filter to use.  I'm sure it is there somewhere, I'm just a a loss as to where it is specified.  I've looked at the documentation, but it isn't clear to me what files I need to modify.  I don't believe that if I put the file in '/usr/lib/cups/filter' it will magically use this nice file, and it looks from my attempts at re-establishing the printer description, that this is the case.

So, what is the next step?

Thanks again for the help so far.