View Job Title with Command Line Tools

Dan Masterson dmastersoneghs at gmail.com
Fri Feb 10 17:22:17 PST 2012

Hello, I was hoping someone knew how to retrieve a Job's Title from the command line. I manage a lab of 60+ computers and lately printing has gotten out of control. I've made a Kiosk in PHP that allows lab users to swipe their ID, which then queries our LDAP for their username and finally CUPs for their jobs using lpstat. However I cannot seem to get the Job Title which would be nice to display so they know what they are printing if there are multiple jobs listed. Currently I only get the Job ID, Username, Size, and timestamp. Essentially I'm looking to reproduce the information you'd see from the CUPs web interface for the active jobs. Note, this print server queues the jobs indefinitely to require approval which is where this Kiosk comes in. Thanks for your time.