Accessing Printer Behind NAT

Fred fherman at inferential.com
Sun Feb 12 11:49:47 PST 2012

Thanks for the clue.  The trick was to not use the raw driver, which, as you imply is not a "real" printer driver.  When I deleted the printer on the "gateway" system and added the printer using one of the Samsung drivers, I got things to work, somewhat.

The printer is a CLP-510.  The gateway system didn't have a driver for that model, so I installed the unified driver software which includes a driver for the CLP-510.  However, that driver doesn't work on the gateway system, which is running Fedora FC16 x86_64.  I then tried a driver for the CLP-550 PS driver.  None of the SPLC drivers work in this setup, just the PS drivers.  The problem now is that while printing works, the colors are somewhat screwed up, but it at least does print.  (Also, the WLAN machine which the printer is physically connected to is still running FC14, so maybe when that machine is upgraded, the CLP-510 driver will break.  That machine is an i386 machine not a x86_64 machine, so maybe the driver doesn't work on 64 bit OS.)

I believe that prior to the gateway system upgrade, the remote systems used a raw driver configuration, which now will not work.

Referring to your prior mention "By design, you can't re-share a shared printer. ", I guess I have to ask, why not?  The gateway system setup that I want amounts to using that system as a proxy.  What's wrong with that?  I realize that I don't understand enough about the CUPS design philosophy, but from a practical standpoint, allowing a proxy configuration is very useful.

Thank you for helping me on this.

Fred