"Missing or invalid Coords in shading dictionary"

Joost Ringoot joost.ringoot at meteo.be
Fri Feb 17 00:18:34 PST 2012

Hi all,

I got this message on a hanging printjob (a small pdf: 463k) : "Missing or invalid Coords in shading dictionary"

I am running CUPS 1.4.3 on "Ubuntu 10.04.3 LTS"
(package:  pool/main/c/cups/cups_1.4.3-1ubuntu1.5_amd64.deb)

The printer is: Ricoh Afficio SP 4100N
The driver is a ppd file downloaded from openprinting, the header is below:

*PPD-Adobe: "4.3"
*%
*%  Printer Description file
*%    for "Ricoh Aficio SP 4100N PS"
*%
*%    CreationDate: 2006/07/01
*%    Modified:     2011/01/05
*%
*%    COPYRIGHT (C) 2006-2011 RICOH COMPANY, LTD.
*%
*%    Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining
*%    a copy of this software and associated documentation files (the
*%    "Software"), to deal in the Software without restriction, including
*%    without limitation the rights to use, copy, modify, merge, publish,
*%    distribute, sublicense, and/or sell copies of the Software, and to
*%    permit persons to whom the Software is furnished to do so, subject to
*%    the following conditions:
*%
*%    The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be
*%    included in all copies or substantial portions of the Software.
*%
*%    THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND,
*%    EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF
*%    MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND
*%    NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE
*%    LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION
*%    OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION
*%    WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE SOFTWARE.
*%
*%    [this is the MIT open source license -- please see www.opensource.org]
*%

*FileVersion: "1.0"
*FormatVersion: "4.3"
*LanguageEncoding: ISOLatin1
*LanguageVersion: English
*ModelName: "Ricoh Aficio SP 4100N"
*PCFileName: "RI2191E3.PPD"
*Manufacturer: "Ricoh"
*1284DeviceID: "MFG:RICOH;MDL:Aficio SP 4100N;CMD:POSTSCRIPT;"
*Product: "(RICOH Aficio SP 4100N PS3)"
*PSVersion: "(3016.203) 2"
*ShortNickName: "Ricoh Aficio SP 4100N PS"
*NickName: "Ricoh Aficio SP 4100N PS"

*%========== Basic Device Capabilities ==========

=======END OF PPD DRIVER HEADER===========

Does anybody knows what is the cause of this?
Untill now I was only able to find the message in the source code:

http://cups.sourcearchive.com/documentation/1.3.9-1/GfxState_8cxx-source.html