[cups.general] Files involved in adding a raw queue

Alexandre Magaz Graça alexandre.magaz at udl.cat
Thu Feb 23 07:47:12 PST 2012

Hi,

I'm looking for a way to add a raw queue only by modifying/adding files.
For example, if I want to add a queue for a printer, I just have to
modify /etc/cups/printers.conf and add a PPD with the queue name in
/etc/cups/ppd/. However, for some reason, this method doesn't work with
raw queues. The queue appears in print dialogs, but when I try to print
something the following error is logged in error_log:

Returning IPP client-error-document-format-not-supported for Print-Job
(ipp://localhost:631/printers/testprinter) from localhost

It works when I add the queue with lpadmin so I guess It's modifying
some other file I'm missing. Any idea of which one?

I can't add it through the web interface or by using lpadmin as I'm
modifying an installation image and it can only be done by adding or
overwriting files.

The environment in which I'm trying to get this working is a Fedora 14
with CUPS 1.4.6. This raw queue is supposed to send the job to another
queue in a CUPS print server with a network printer set up with IPP.

Thanks,
Àlex