[cups.bugs] [LOW] STR #4016: Printer MIB supply levels improperly interpreted

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Sat Feb 11 14:42:31 PST 2012

[STR Closed w/Resolution]

1. We don't discriminate on levels - we just convert to a percentage based
on the MaxCapacity value, which must be (by definition) 100 for a printer
that reports percentages. If the printer doesn't support a MaxCapacity
value (or something other than 100) then the wrong information will be
reported and the printer is (by definition) broken. We avoid hacks for
broken printers whenever possible.

2. This issue was fixed in CUPS 1.5.1.

3. The current code makes assumptions based on the supply type since the
class basically never varies for the standard types and we don't care
whether a supply is filled or emptied - the marker-low-levels and
marker-high-levels we report are enough to tell the client software
whether the supply needs replacement.

Anyways, it looks like the primary issue here (#2) is already fixed and we
don't want to add the changes for the other two since it amounts to working
around broken (or strange) implementations of the Printer MIB.

Link: http://www.cups.org/str.php?L4016
Version: 1.5.0
Fix Version: 1.5.1