[cups.general] Bonjour publishing from Linux

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Fri Jan 6 11:09:59 PST 2012

Hagen,

On Jan 6, 2012, at 6:50 AM, Hagen Fuchs wrote:
> Hello,
>
>> You need to patch CUPS to use Avahi:
>>  http://cups.org/str.php?L3066
>
> I was wondering; what happened to the "legal issues" that Michael Sweet
> mentioned there[0]?  Is there any way that one may help to hasten their
> resolve?  A bottle of good Chardonnay to the Apple legal department,
> perhaps?

:)

The legal issues have indeed been resolved, which is why the bug moved from -feature to 1.6-feature a few months back.

> Seriously, if this patch is production ready, I'd /really/ would like to
> see this on my production servers.

There are some issues to be resolved when I merge the patch (basically architectural changes I want to make so this will be easier to maintain going forward), but I know several Linux vendors are already shipping with those changes and they should be pretty stable at this point...