Double printing problem after CUPS update

Helge Blischke h.blischke at acm.org
Wed Jan 25 06:56:32 PST 2012

Alexander Urban wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I have a problem after update to CUPS 1.5. (I think the old one was 1.4.7
> but not sure)
>
> Our "workgroup" printer is a KM bizhub c452 (for 250 users, ~220 of them
> Windows users doing fine, and 20 Macs and 10 Linuxes).
>
> With CUPS 1.5, everything is printed twice, I don't know why. On the CUPS
> versions used earlier, everything was printed once.
>
> Problem occurs on more than one machine - all iMacs (about a dozen) and
> some linux boxes.
>
> How can I debug this? I'm new to debugging in printer environment, so
> step-by-step procedures would be appreciated.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Alexander

On one of the boxes where this issue occurs, do the following:

- execute
  cupsctl --debug-logging
  (to set logging to debug)
- print a file
- after the print is complete, execute
  cupsctl --no-debub-logging
- post the portion of the /var/log/cups/error_log which contains the
messages related to the test job.

Helge