[cups.development] How to show printer resident fonts in write?

Hin-Tak Leung hintak_leung at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Jan 3 15:04:55 PST 2012

That's a bit strange. You are saying it is a postscript dot-matrix printer? That combination is somewhat rare, but never say never.

You might be able to do what you want with pycups, or one of the ipp tools to query the ppd.

But the thing is, you still need the fonts on the client side to do WYSIWYG  on the writer, which means you might as well embed the fonts from the client for fidelity of WYSIWYG.

One alternative, is to strip selected fonts with a cups filter .

I think the critical question is: what exactly are you trying to achieve? Printing on a typical printer is still on the whole slower than network transport of any reasonably size print job, so even if you have small print jobs by removing the fonts, you still have to wait.