How to show printer resident fonts in write?

Helge Blischke h.blischke at acm.org
Thu Jan 5 02:33:21 PST 2012

Gurmeet Singh wrote:

>> That's rather completely off your original question - you were asking how
>> t= o use printer resident fonts without embedding them, to minimize
>> print-size= /print-job-size . That's I have given you a few
>> suggestions.=0A=0ATo have W= YSIWYG printing from a GUI application on a
>> linux machine, with additional = custom fonts - which *will be embedded*
>> ! - you copy the fonts into the $HO= ME/.fonts (the .fonts directory of
>> the user's home directory), then run fc-= cache . The additional custom
>> fonts needs to be true type (ttf) or open typ= e (otf)'s. Then any GUI
>> application should be able to see and use them. Thi= s is a per-user
>> configuration/customization.=0A=0ARead up on "fontconfig" o= n the
>> internet if you needs more details.=0A=0ATo have additional fonts vis=
>> ible in the end-user application, but not embedded when printing, that's
>> a = complicated question - you'll need to define your requirement a bit
>> (e.g. w= hat GUI application, etc).
>
> Hi Hin-Tak Leung,
>
> I am sorry for not explaining the problem that i am facing.
> Let me explain the problem scenario in detail
> I am developing Dot Matrix Printer driver using CUPS. I have ppd file
> supplied by the vendor. I am able to print using ppd file through CUPS.
> Printer has some resident fonts. Now the requirement is that when Driver
> installed on system (Ubuntu) and same printer set as default printer then
> the fonts should display in the office writer's font combo box. If My
> printer is not default printer then font should not display in office
> writer's font combo box.
>
> I have done same in case of windows. In windows i have developed driver
> for same printer with the help of WDK. I have given the reference of .ufm
> files in GPD file and compiled the same. It is working as expected. I want
> same in case of Ubuntu.
>
> Thanks.

Well, to use the printer resident fonts (for whatever printer) in
applications like OOo writer of LibreOffice writer, the application must
have access to
- the metrics of the respective fonts
- at least a fake font for display in the application's window(s).

As you stated in your posts, on Windows you used appropriate .ufm files
(Unicode Font Metric files) for those resident fonts.As I suspect those
files are Windows specific, I doubt you can use them on your Ubuntu system.
Instead you need at least to get suitable metric files in Ubuntu.

Helge