How to show printer resident fonts in write?

Gurmeet Singh gurmeet.janjua at yahoo.in
Thu Jan 5 04:52:01 PST 2012

> > Hi Hin-Tak Leung,
> >
> > I am sorry for not explaining the problem that i am facing.
> > Let me explain the problem scenario in detail
> > I am developing Dot Matrix Printer driver using CUPS. I have ppd file
> > supplied by the vendor. I am able to print using ppd file through CUPS.
> > Printer has some resident fonts. Now the requirement is that when Driver
> > installed on system (Ubuntu) and same printer set as default printer then
> > the fonts should display in the office writer's font combo box. If My
> > printer is not default printer then font should not display in office
> > writer's font combo box.
> >
> > I have done same in case of windows. In windows i have developed driver
> > for same printer with the help of WDK. I have given the reference of .ufm
> > files in GPD file and compiled the same. It is working as expected. I want
> > same in case of Ubuntu.
> >
> > Thanks.
>
> Well, to use the printer resident fonts (for whatever printer) in
> applications like OOo writer of LibreOffice writer, the application must
> have access to
> - the metrics of the respective fonts
> - at least a fake font for display in the application's window(s).
>
> As you stated in your posts, on Windows you used appropriate .ufm files
> (Unicode Font Metric files) for those resident fonts.As I suspect those
> files are Windows specific, I doubt you can use them on your Ubuntu system.
> Instead you need at least to get suitable metric files in Ubuntu.
>
> Helge

Thanks for your Response,

Ok upto my understanding .ufm is specific to windows only. So, say if I am successfull in getting Linux specific fonts (assuming .afm). Then can you guide me what would be the next step?

welcome if you kindly post some of keywords for searching over the net or any useful link.

Thanks.