[cups.development] [RFE] STR #4003: Unhelpful Error Message When Invalid Device URI Specified

George Sexton gsexton at mhsoftware.com
Wed Jan 11 07:44:08 PST 2012

[STR New]

So I was trying to use CUPS on OpenSUSE 12.1 after upgrading from OpenSUSE
11.4

Cups did not work because the lp module was not loaded.

The error message in the /var/log/cups/error_log file was

Unable to open print file: no such file or directory.

This lead me to believe the problem was a permission problem on the
spooler directory.

It would have been VASTLY more helpful if the error message had been:

Unable to open print file parallel:/dev/lp0: no such file or directory.

Eventually, I got the linux lp module loading. However, in my edits I put
the device URI in as:

parallel://dev/lp0

again things didn't work.

So, in conclusion, many hours of CUPS troubleshooting could be resolved if
the error message were just a tiny bit more specific and gave people some
sort of idea as to what the problem really was.

Link: http://www.cups.org/str.php?L4003
Version:  -feature