Utf-8 encoding issue with foriegn language in non-mac machine

chandrashekar chandu.ise at gmail.com
Tue Jul 3 21:34:27 PDT 2012

> http://www.opensource.apple.com/source/cups/cups-136/cups/ppd/generic.ppd

> >> Well, the Monospace font family distributed with CUPS does not contain a
> >> korean script (set of glyphs) as far as I can see, and GNU FreeMono
> >> doesn't either.
> >> You'll need to find a suitable font (see CJK fonts) and possibly merge
> >> that into Monospace or FreeMono and use that instead.
> >> As for font merging, this can be done e.g. using the free FontForge; you
> >> may ask me off the list if you need assistance.
> >>
> >> Helge
> >>
> > Thanks for replying, I need your assistance in merging chinese,
> > chinese(Taiwan), japanese and korean fonts with Monospace.
> >
> > Under CJK fonts there are 3 varieties of typeface ie Ming, sans-serif and
> > script. which wont would suite for merging to Monospace and please let me
> > know some insight on same.
>
> I found
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_CJK_fonts
> as a first place for further investigation. Especially see the link to the
> list of free Korean fonts there.
>
> If you need technical support for merging fonts, you may ask me (even off
> the list), but I'm not the person to make proposals which font to use.
>
> Helge

Thanks Helge,

I need your technical support for merging fonts.

>From CJK fonts I am choosing Sans-Serif -> UnDotum korean fonts which is GPL.
http://en.fonts2u.com/download/un-dotum.family

I think 2 changes need to be done.
1. Merge UnDotum fonts with Monospace, Monospace-Bold, Monospace-BoldOblique, Monospace-Oblique fonts.
2. Mention unicode character mapping inside /share/cups/charsets/utf-8

I used fontforge to open UnDotum Korean font and tried to copy glyphs but when I tried to paste in Monospace font its not accepting.

Please tell me the procedure to do it.