CUPS access configuration

Maciej Sobkowski maciej at sobkowski.info
Wed Jul 4 01:23:23 PDT 2012

I want to have passwordless access to printing and panel when accessing from LAN and username/password authentication when printing/accessing the panel. I have 'Allow printing from the Internet' enabled, and also 'Allow remote administration'. This allows me to access panel with internal and external address and print from LAN. Printig from WAN doesn't work, I've got firewall temporarily disabled. When I add:
'AuthType Default
Require user @SYSTEM'
to <Location />, it requires password on panel immediately after I enter CUPS address, as I want, but I want this only when logging from WAN. And setting this also causes asking for username/password when printing anything from LAN, while printing from WAN still doesn't work. How should I set this up?

System: Debian 6.0.5
Kernel: 2.6.32-5-amd64
CUPS: 1.4.4-7+squeeze1
Printer: Brother DCP-165C USB