lp with options fails to print

Helge Blischke h.blischke at acm.org
Sun Jul 8 02:26:48 PDT 2012

Jonathan wrote:

> For the past few months, I've been encountering postscript files that just
> won't print.  They get created when I open a pdf with acroread and print
> to file.  I print to file so I can run the file through my duplex printing
> system.  The commands I use (in the system or standalone) to print the
> file are lp -o page-set=odd -o outputorder=reverse file-name lp -o
> page-set=even -o outputorder=normal file-name
>
> When I do that, print jobs get created and sent to my Laserjet which
> clicks, but doesn't print anything.
>
> Printing the file without options (one-sided) works fine.
> lp file-name
>
> A sample file is:
> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/54584985/wnycomsoc_july.ps
>
> As a workaround, I can open the pdf in acroread and manually print the odd
> pages then the even pages directly to the printer, but that disrupts my
> work flow and I have to handle the last page separately if there are an
> odd number of pages or it will get left in the printer paper tray for the
> next job.
>
> Any ideas about what's going on and how to fix it would be appreciated.
>
> TIA
> Joe
> kubuntu oneiric 64 / CUPS 1.5.0 / HP Laserjet P1006 and 1020.

In your acroread preferences, make sure th check "embed fonts at beginning"
under the "extended" tab.
Otherwise fonts are embedded when first used, this means that the needed
fonts often aren't defined yet when processing the pages in reverse order.

Helge

PS: As I only have the german acroread variants installed, I do not know
exactly how the items of the english version(s) are spelled.