Utf-8 encoding issue with foriegn language in non-mac machine

Helge Blischke h.blischke at acm.org
Tue Jul 10 11:59:36 PDT 2012

http://www.opensource.apple.com/source/cups/cups-136/cups/ppd/generic.ppd

>> > Thanks Helge,
>> >
>> > I need your technical support for merging fonts.
>> >
>> > From CJK fonts I am choosing Sans-Serif -> UnDotum korean fonts which
>> > is GPL. http://en.fonts2u.com/download/un-dotum.family
>> >
>> > I think 2 changes need to be done.
>> > 1. Merge UnDotum fonts with Monospace, Monospace-Bold,
>> > Monospace-BoldOblique, Monospace-Oblique fonts. 2. Mention unicode
>> > character mapping inside /share/cups/charsets/utf-8
>> >
>> > I used fontforge to open UnDotum Korean font and tried to copy glyphs
>> > but when I tried to paste in Monospace font its not accepting.
>> >
>> > Please tell me the procedure to do it.
>>
>> As you told you are using CUPS 1.5.2, I need to merge and convert the
>> fonts to Type1 fonts, as the texttops filter needs this font file format.
>> To verify that the font merging works, I'd need a sample file to check if
>> the korean text shows up as expected (as far as I can judge) and not as
>> black or white squares.
>>
>> Helge
>>

> Helge,
>
> I sent a sample korean.txt file to ur mail id. I am even pasting the file
> contents here please let me know the procedure to merge and convert fonts
> to type1 fonts.
>
> 중앙일보 - 사건/사회 - 극지탐험 협회결
> 극지탐험 협회결성 체계적 연구
> 지구상의 3대 극지라 불리는 남극·북극·에베레스트를 한번이라
> 도 다녀와야 정회원으로 들어갈 수 있는 한국극지협회가 발족다
> .윤석순(한·러시아극동협회 상임고문)씨과 홍석하(사람과 산 발
> 행인)씨가 극지탐험과 이곳에서의 학술연구를 체계적 으로 해보자
> 는데 뜻을 같이하고 협회결성에 나섰다.
> 이 협회는 지난 16일 호텔신라에서 20여명의 준비위원이 참
> 석한 가운데 준비위원회를 가졌으며 내년 3월 정식 출범한다.
> 이 협회에는 3극오지를 모두 밟은 세계적인 산악인 허영호씨를
> 비롯해 에베레스트를 올랐던 엄홍길·박영석·정승권씨 등 국내의
> 저명한 산악인들이 회원으로 참여할 것으로 보인다.
> 극지협회는 극지탐험가는 물론 학계·경제계인사들도 참가시킬 계
> 획이다. 단순한 탐험차원을 넘어 지구상에 마지막 남은 자원의
> 보고인 극지에서의 연구활동도 하겠다는 의미다.
> 한국극지협회가 발족하면 우리 극지탐험이 체계화될 것으로 기대
> 되고있다.협회는 극지관련자료를 데이터베이스로 축적해 오지탐험가
> 들에게 제공할 계획이다.
> 입력시간
> ⓒ 중앙일보사
>
> -chandrashekar

The mail you sent me didn't reach me (no idea why), so I did a test with the
pasted variant.
A quick test script revealed that the characters of the pasted text all are
in unicode ranges 0x31.. to ox35.., but the UnDotum font does not contain
these.
Could you please give more hints?

Helge