[cups.general] Independant printer dialog?

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Thu Jul 26 05:16:30 PDT 2012

Hello,

On Jul 26 01:00 franz.pfoertsch.brose wrote (excerpt):
> do you know gtklp http://gtklp.sirtobi.com/.
> I used it for years in the company.

If I remember correctly (it is years ago when I used it)
it "messed up" ~/.lpoptions in CUPS 1.1 (since CUPS 1.2
this is ~/.cups/lpoptions) because it wrote tons of stuff
for all print queues there regardless what the user had
actually used or changed.

This results that all users have for all queues "private"
settings stored in their own lpoptions files which may result
conflicts if queues are changed on the server, see
http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Print_Settings_with_CUPS
The users must be informed about any queue modification
on the CUPS server, if the modification leads to the
invalidity of the settings in the users' ~/.cups/lpoptions
(or ~/.lpoptions) files...

I have no knowledge at all how gtklp behaves nowadays.

Franz Pfoertsch,
how do the ~/.cups/lpoptions (or ~/.lpoptions) files look
in your particular case?

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner