[cups.bugs] [CRIT] STR #4133: 32 bit libraries installed in /usr/lib64 instead of /usr/lib

Ged Haywood cups at jubileegroup.co.uk
Sun Jul 1 06:13:02 PDT 2012

[STR New]

Out of sheer desperation in an attempt to solve a different issue I
downloaded the source for version 1.5.3 of the CUPS and installed it on an
up-to-date 32-bit Debian Squeeze.  Result, misery.

# /etc/init.d/cups start
cupsd: Child exited with status 127
cups: unable to start scheduler.

Further investigation revealed that the 32-bit shared libraries for 1.5.3
had been placed in /usr/lib64.  The old (1.4.4) libraries were still in
/usr/lib, and at least one entry point was missing from the old libraries
(_cups_strcasecmp if I remember correctly).

To fix this issue I simply moved the libraries into /usr/lib and cups
started.  No progress yet on the issue that I'm actually trying to solve,
unfortunately, perhaps more on that later...

Link: http://www.cups.org/str.php?L4133
Version: 1.5.3