printer prints raw pdf source instead of doc

zebulon zebul666 at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 1 01:24:49 PDT 2012

> On 05/31/2012 02:09 PM, Helge Blischke wrote:

> This is most probably from a foomatic-rip replacement supplied with the
> HPLIP package. The HPLIP developers did this replacement to fix a bug,
> but this fix is aalso in the current 4.x foomatic-rip.
>
> So what you need to do:
>
> If you have /usr/lib/cups/filter/foomatic-rip-hplip and it is a Perl
> file, run the commands
>
> rm /usr/lib/cups/filter/foomatic-rip-hplip
> ln -s /usr/lib/cups/filter/foomatic-rip
> /usr/lib/cups/filter/foomatic-rip-hplip
>
> Please report a bug for the HPLIP package at your Linux distribution
> that they should do the commands above already in their HPLIP package.
> The foomatic-rip-hplip is deprecated and does not support the PDF-based
> printing workflow.
>
> Report also a bug on upstream HPLIP to not ship foomatic-rip-hplip any
> more as it breaks the PDF-based printing workflow which is adopted by
> Debian, Ubuntu, and your distribution and will have to get adopted by
> all distributions from CUPS 1.6.x on (due mid-2012).

Ok. thanks to all.
Hellge made me on the right track. Once I understood it was foomatic-rip-hplip the culprit, I simply recompile hplip driver/package with --disable-foomatic-rip-hplip configure option then remove and add again a printer in cups.
And it works now.

It's fixed in archlinux: https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/30085