advanced printer options visibility

muzzol muzzol at gmail.com
Fri Jun 1 03:19:19 PDT 2012

> On Jun 1 02:39 muzzol wrote (excerpt):
> > the whole point about having a centralized print server is
> > to simplify client setup.
>
> The current (i.e. up to CUPS 1.5) way for this is to do
> no client setup at all by using so called CUPS Browsing, see
> "Intrinsic design of CUPS for printing in the network" at
> http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:CUPS_in_a_Nutshell
>
> With CUPS Browsing the clients get the printer options
> from the queues on the centralized print server.

I was aware of browsing capabilities but it doesn't fit our environment.

I'll elaborate a little bit my setup.

we don't want a hundred printers confusing users in printer settings so we remove all queues when shuting down machines and when starting up we add only those ones configured for that machine. so on every boot we perform one

   lpadmin -p ....

for every printer configured on that machine. so when user prints a document he only sees two or three printers and there's little room for confusion or mistakes.

does that make any sense? I'm I facing it wrong?

muzzol