advanced printer options visibility

Joerg Steffens joerg.steffens at dass-it.de
Fri Jun 1 03:50:58 PDT 2012

> I'll elaborate a little bit my setup.
>
> we don't want a hundred printers confusing users in printer settings so we remove all queues when shuting down machines and when starting up we add only those ones configured for that machine. so on every boot we perform one
>
>    lpadmin -p ....
>
> for every printer configured on that machine. so when user prints a document he only sees two or three printers and there's little room for confusion or mistakes.
>
> does that make any sense? I'm I facing it wrong?

we are using the same kind of setup.

As a workaround, you can adapt your script that creates the printer queues to download the PPDs from we server and then use them:

Code should be like this:

    P=<PRINTERNAME>

    # get printer ppd
    PPD_URL=`lpstat -v $P 2>/dev/null | awk '
        $4 ~ /^ipp:/    {
            sub("ipp:", "http:", $4 );
            print $4 ".ppd"
        };