fit-to-page / fitplot don't work in OSX

Helge Blischke h.blischke at acm.org
Thu Jun 7 05:56:06 PDT 2012

Robert Zegwaard wrote:

> Helge, Micheal,
>
> Thanks for your replies.
> On OSX 10.6 fit-to-page seems to work.
>
> Robert
>

>> I'm testing lp/lpr on Mac OSX 10.5 with a Xerox 242 printer (with
>> build-in FieryRip). It seems to work quit nice, except that "-o
>> fit-to-page" or "-o fitplot" options have no effect. Also "-o scaling=70"
>> doesn't work.
>>
>> lp -o media=A4 -o fit-to-page -o -d DC_242_DC250_Direct testA3.pdf
>>
>> I want the A3-page(pdf) to shrink (with correct aspect-ratio) to fit on
>> the A4 paper.
>>
>> Any help would be appreciated!
>>
>> Robert

On OsX 10.5 there is a trick:

- Set the PageSize default to the page size you need
- when printing a PDF from the command line, supply the option
   -o media= -o fitplot
  i.e. an empty media size.
Then cgpdftops uses the PDF's media size and does not crop the pages, and
the pstops filter does the necessary scaling to the default page size
specified in the printer's PPD.

I know this is a bit weird, but ...

Helge