Secure print?

Helge Blischke h.blischke at acm.org
Tue Jun 12 11:55:42 PDT 2012

franz. pfoertsch. brose wrote:

> Hello Johannes,
>
> I am very happy when someone is prove reading my pages. I will fix my
> pages. My prefered way is to enhance the ppd-file
> (/usr/share/cups/model/), because when I enhance the queue_name.ppd and
> recreate the queue everything is lost.
>
> But most important seems to me, more and more people are asking about
> enhancements of the ppd to allow secureprint, printing off pdf directly
> without generating postscript. And there is no standard, an no tools to
> generate the ppds.
>
> Is anybody on the list, who has the opportunities, skill and resources and
> so on, to work on this? Or is there any communicationplattform to share
> those datas and informations.
>
> I created my web-pages only to share the knowhow. It took so long to find
> out the details.
>
> regards
> Franz
>

>> Hello,
>>
>> On Jun 2 04:22 franz.pfoertsch.brose wrote (excerpt):
>> > I done something similar for Canon multifunction devcies:
>> >  http://www.pfoertsch.net/wiki/index.php/Main/CuPs
>> > section "How to use the securprint-feature of Canon ..."
>>
>> There is a typo, it reads:
>> expand the appropriate ppd-file (/usr/share/cups/model/)
>> restart the cupsd-daemon, to reload the ppd, modify a existing printer
>> or create a new one with this ppd.
>>
>> It should be something like:
>> enhance the PPD file for the print queue (/etc/cups/ppd/queue_name.ppd)
>> or enhance an appropriate template PPD file (/usr/share/cups/model/...)
>> restart the cupsd-daemon, to reload the PPD file for the print queue
>> or create a new print queue with the template PPD file.
>>
>> Reason:
>> The PPD files in /usr/share/cups/model/... are only used when
>> a new print queue is set up which copies the PPD file
>> to /etc/cups/ppd/queue_name.ppd
>>

>> Kind Regards
>> Johannes Meixner
>> --
>> SUSE LINUX Products GmbH -- Maxfeldstrasse 5 -- 90409 Nuernberg --
>> Germany HRB 16746 (AG Nuernberg) GF: Jeff Hawn, Jennifer Guild, Felix
>> Imendoerffer

At the CUPS site, look into the documentation regarding ppdc and ppdcfiles.
And, in most cases, you'll need to make a filter specific to make and model
to deal with the PPD extensions for "secure printing".
But be qware that querying for username and password or the like will be a
challenge with respect to security considerations on the job originating
host. Especially on systems where CUPS runs in a sandbox (as in Mac OS X
10.6 and higher) you probably need a helper application to do that.

Helge