Secure print?

franz.pfoertsch.brose franz.pfoertsch at brose.com
Tue Jun 12 12:55:29 PDT 2012

> At the CUPS site, look into the documentation regarding ppdc and ppdcfiles.
> And, in most cases, you'll need to make a filter specific to make and model
> to deal with the PPD extensions for "secure printing".
> But be qware that querying for username and password or the like will be a
> challenge with respect to security considerations on the job originating
> host. Especially on systems where CUPS runs in a sandbox (as in Mac OS X
> 10.6 and higher) you probably need a helper application to do that.
>
> Helge

I know the ppdc compiler, but the compiler does not suppor JCL-code, so I open http://www.cups.org/str.php?L4115 to support the missing. But all of this code is depricated. Support should be done by openprinting.org.

You are right with the security considerations!

But nobody is able to expand the gui with the missing extensions.
PPD's only supports 'Pickone' and 'Boolean', we need the 'Password' and so on.

regards
Franz